***Last Student Day is June 4th***
*No School Tuesday, May 22nd or Monday May 28th*
There are several events that are coming up in the next week that we would like to make you aware of. Please see below for the additional information.
- Field Trips: The Kindergarten, 2nd, 3rd and 5th graders all have field trips scheduled for this week. Please make sure that you send your student to school in comfortable, weather appropriate clothing and tennis shoes.
- Southside Book Fair: Southside will have our last Book Fair the week of the 29th. The Book Fair will be open during school as well as during Summer Reading Night on the 29th and during the Southside Carnival on Friday, June 1st.
- Southside Field Day: Field Day is scheduled for Tuesday, May 29th. The rain date for this event is Wednesday, May 30th. Please send your student to school in comfortable clothing and tennis shoes. We are scheduled to start at 9AM and we end at the end of the day.
- Summer Reading Night: Summer Reading Night is scheduled for Tuesday, May 29th from 6:00PM-7:00PM. You will be able to make your own Ice Cream Sunday! Please look for an informational flyer coming home with your student.
- 5th Grade Promotion: 5th Grade Promotion will be held at 12:00PM on Friday, June 1st at the Centenary Methodist Church located at 429 Main Street. Refreshments will be served after the Promotion Ceremony.
- Southside Spring Carnival: The Southside Spring Carnival hosted by the Southside PTO will be held Friday, June 1st from 5:30PM-7:30PM. Please look for an informational flyer coming home with your student.
- K-4 Awards Day: Our Southside K-4th graders will be receiving end of the year awards on Monday, June 4th in the Southside Gym starting at 9:00AM. Please plan on the Awards Day lasting around 2 hours.
- LAST DAY FOR STUDENTS IS MONDAY, JUNE 4TH.
There are several additional school events scheduled during the day on these last 2 weeks of school. Please look at the Southside Save the Date for the additional calendar events.
VOLUNTEERING AT END OF THE YEAR EVENTS
Please remember that you must be an Approved Volunteer to chaperone or supervise students during trips and events. Southside keeps a list of the Approved Volunteers that has been given to us by our District Office. Please check to make sure that you are an Approved Volunteer. If you are not, you may still come and enjoy all of the fun activities with your student by may not be put in charge of overseeing or working with a group of students. If you have any questions about the policy that our District has in place for volunteers, please feel free to call Beth Cathcart, Southside FRC at 633-4460.
EARLY CHILDHOOD SCREENINGS
Free for all Shelby County children who are 3 years old by July 31,2012 or 4 years old by October 1,2012. Screening days are May 23rd and May 24th by appointment only. The screenings will take place at the Painted Stone Preschool. Children will be screened for: Speech and Language, Hearing, Motor, Behavior and Cognitive Development. To apply for Head Start or the Shelby County Preschool Program the following information must be provided: Immunization Record; Birth Certificate; Proof of Income; Physical Exam; Vision Exam; 2 proofs of residence. To make an appointment please call: 647-0210 after May 1, 2012.
SUMMER CHILD CARE OPTIONS
Rocket Power Summer Plans 2012 Information
Phone No. 633-4057
Address: 279 Chapel Hill Road at Clear Creek Elementary
REGISTRATION INFORMATION AND SUMMER SCHEUDLES ARE OUT NOW! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THIS INFORMATION OFF OF THE SHELBY COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOL WEBSITE UNDER “FAMILIES” AND THEN “DAYCARE”
Responsibility — proving you can be trusted with what is expected of you
1.) We are learning about the value of RESPONSIBILITY this month – proving you can be trusted with what is expected of you!
2.) Turn the word “chores” into RESPONSIBILITIES and make a list of tasks each family member is trusted to complete for the week.
3.) Take the RESPONSIBILITY lists from last week and talk about what life would be like if no one did what was expected of them.
4.) Host a RESPONSIBILITY dinner, officially divvying up tasks that make your household successful. Celebrate future RESPONSIBILITY!
UP AND COMING DATES
- 22nd NO SCHOOL: ELECTION DAY
- 24th 5:00PM SBDM
- 25th All Day 5th Grade Trip to Indianapolis
- 28th NO SCHOOL: MEMORIAL DAY
- 29th school day Southside Book Fair Opens
- 29th school day Southside Field Day
- 29th 6:00PM Parent Night: Summer Reading and Book Fair
- 30th school day Rain Date for Field Day
- 31st school day 5th Grade D.A.R.E. Program Graduation
- 31st school day Ice Cream Truck visits Southside
- 1st 12:00PM 5th Grade Promotion
- 1st school day K/3rd Book Buddy Luau
- 1st 5:30PM Southside Spring Carnival
- 4th 9:00AM K-4 Awards Day
- 4th LAST DAY FOR STUDENTS