Shelby County Public Schools
Requirements/Agreements for Dual Credit Students
- Students may take up to 8 FREE dual credit classes during high school
- 6 classes paid for by Shelby County Public Schools
- 2 classes CAN BE applied for through KHEAA Scholarship (Jr and Sr only)
- Assitional scholarships available for Career and TEchnical Education (CTE) Through Work Ready Scholarship
- Students are responsible for the cost of their books and online content required for classes. (Students qualifying for free meals at school please see Mrs. Burkhardt regading books.)
- Students are responsible for the cost of additional classes at the current rate of ⅓ cost per credit hour. ($56 a credit hour currently)
- Students must follow the JCTC calendar for their college classes. Student must attend college classes at JCTC even if SCPS is on break.
- Students must follow the JCTC inclement weather policy. Students must attend college classes if JCTC is open (even if SCPS is closed due to severe weather)
ATTENDANCE @High School
- All students must report to the designated classroom on days that their JCTC classes do not meet.
- “Remind 101” is used to communicate to students taking classes at JCTC. Please be sure you are a member of the Dual Credit Remind group for your high school.
- Courses can only be dropped within the timeline specified by SCPS. Withdrawing from a course after the SCPS date will result in STUDENT PAYING FOR THE COURSE.
- Meet with your counselor to discuss potential withdraws PRIOR to withdrawing
- Classes must be dropped through JCTC. High school counselors CANNOT remove students from JCTC classes.
- Get a printout from JCTC to show that a class has been dropped. Give a copy to your counselor.
- Classes dropped AFTER THE SCPS deadline will result in a charge for the class to the student.
Transferring Dual-Credit Courses
It's really important that you keep in mind how your dual-credit courses will transer once you begin college. Click this link to search for schools and see which classes your dual-credit courses will transfer as.
If you need help with your dual-credit courses, we strongly encourage you attend tutoring sessions at JCTC! Click here to see a list of times.