Registration and Enrollment for P - 12 Students
Kentucky law requires youths between 6 and 18 years old to attend school, and the birthday cutoff to enroll in kindergarten is age 5 on or before Aug. 1. Also, families may apply for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds who have a special need may also apply for the Shelby County Preschool Program year-round.
To register a K-12 student, please review the requirements below and then begin registration online. A parent/guardian must complete the process in person at the school.
To determine your child's school, which is based on home address, use the ATTENDANCE DIRECTORY.
*Please note you will need a laptop or desktop to complete the registration information - cell phones are not compatible.
- Child’s official birth certificate
- Two proofs of residence, such as a mortgage statement or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill
- Proof of child's recent preventative health care exam **
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable
- Social Security Card
To register a "new to Shelby County" student in Shelby County Public Schools, a parent/guardian starts by submitting household information online and then finishes the enrollment process in person at the school.
Families joining SCPS during the current school year may enroll a student at anytime.
Please skim these steps before beginning:
- Please allow 20-30 minutes for this registration process.
- Before you begin, please gather the following:
- Household information: Address and Phone Numbers
- Parent information: Work and cell phone number, email addresses and home address if different from the student
- Student information:
- Health insurance/medication information
- Former School name, address and phone number
- Emergency Contacts - phone numbers and date of birth
- Start with this login.
- Complete the fields on the screen. The CAPTCHA will display letters and/or numbers with a colorful background behind. Type the letters and/or numbers into the text box beneath. There are no spaces. Letters are case-sensitive. If a letter shows in uppercase, type it in the text box in uppercase. If you want to change the letters and numbers displayed in the CAPTCHA, click the blue refresh button.
- Click “Begin Registration.” The program will send an email to the address you entered on the screen.
- Check your email for a message with a subject of “Welcome to Online Registration.” If you do not see it in your Inbox, please check your spam, junk, trash, etc. folder.
- Click the link at the bottom of the email. If the URL link listed at the bottom of the email does not work, please copy the URL link and paste it into a web browser.
- The program will walk you through the following sections: Household, Parent/Guardian, Emergency Contact, and Student. At the end of each section, click “Save/Continue” to save your work.
- Walk through each screen, reading the sections carefully. Use the Next and Save/Continue buttons to navigate through the form.
- Review the details very carefully, and then submit the form.
- Write down and hold onto your form's number.
For K-12 students, families must then go to their assigned school to complete the registration. Bring the required documents, online form number and two proofs of residence, such as a mortgage statement or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill.