SCPS Announces Grant for Internet Access for High School Students: 1 Million Project
Sent via Blackboard on 10/8/19
Subject: SCPS will provide free wireless devices and service to eligible high school students
We understand that home access to the Internet is an issue for many of our students and their families in Shelby County. We are excited to announce a new program that can help eliminate that inequity.
This year our school district is participating in the 1Million Project Foundation, a national effort to help high school students achieve their full potential by providing them with a FREE hotspot and a FREE high-speed Internet data plan (for up to four years while in high school).
This is a completely FREE program for both our school district and for your high school student to participate in. The only requirement for eligibility is a declaration that you do not have reliable Internet access at home.
What will Eligible Students Receive?
- A FREE hotspot device
- 10GB per month of FREE high-speed wireless data for up to four years (that’s a lot of data!)
- Free hotspot capability (to connect MULTIPLE devices to Wi-Fi)
What Can I Do with My Device?
- Online research for your school papers
- Submit homework via Empower, our new learning management system
- Create digital artifacts that align with your passion
- Search and apply for jobs
- Complete scholarships or enrollment for college
- Anything else (appropriate) online
Don’t let an inability to access the Internet at home stand in the way. In order to apply for a hotspot, please complete the following Google Form by clicking here. Please complete this Form by October 27, 2019. There are a limited number of hotspots and are available first come/first served, so apply today!
Read more about the 1Million Project Foundation at 1MillionProject.org.
SCPS District Digital Technology Coordinator