Our Vision for Teaching & Learning at WMS
Posted by Lorri Stivers on 7/8/2020
Shelby County West Middle School
Vision for Teaching and Learning
Our vision for each and every student at West Middle School to grow academically, socially, and emotionally by giving access to a rich personalized learning experience that occurs no matter their team placement. Whether your child is in the Rock, our 6th Grade Academy or our two 7/8 Academies, personalized learning experiences will be afforded to all students. What does a personalized learning academy experience include? I am so glad you asked!
Every student at West will receive instruction in Language Arts (Reading and Writing), Math, Social Studies and Science. In addition, every student at West will receive:
- A passionate team of teachers who are dedicated to growing our students in the SCPS Profile of a Graduate.
- Academic and social support through an Advisory Period. Your child will have that "go to" adult who will assist your student in creating a variety of goals and then will work with them all year long to make sure they are growing toward their goals!
- Daily Personalized Learning Time (PLT). With the guidance of their advisor and team, each student can choose to use their Personalized Learning Time as a time to get extra help or to dig deeper in their current learning. They can choose work on passion projects, project-based learning, or prepare for an exhibition or defense of learning.
- Related Arts: this will vary according to your student's grade level and interests.
- Service Projects: your student will get to experience the power of servant leadership.Students will have multiple opportunities to interact with and support others from within and beyond the walls of West Middle. Teachers have already established partnerships with area elementary schools and local organizations and I can tell you the list of partners is growing! We know that working with others is the most powerful of lessons and we want all of our students to grow from service projects throughout their time at West.
- At least one Public Exhibition of their work this year. If you haven't attended a student exhibition, you are in for a treat. You will be amazed at what our students can do.
- Defense of Learning. Throughout the year, your child will learn about what it means to be an Effective Communicator, an Inspired Innovator, a Critical Thinker, a Global Citizen, a Lifelong Learner, & a Responsible Collaborator. At the end of the school year, our students will defend how they grew in one or two of these competencies found in our SCPS Profile of a Graduate.
- Flexible Seating is offered by most teachers and will look different in each classroom. It may sound simple, but offering a student a choice in where they will sit and how they will work is a big deal to a tweenager!
- Flexible Grouping will happen often. That means that your student will often work with different teachers and students on their team depending upon their needs and pursuits. Sometimes that will be a large group and sometimes small. It all depends on your student!
- Guest speakers are already booked for speaking engagements at West with more being added every day. Depending upon what your child is learning, students will learn from experts in a variety of fields.
- Field Trips are scheduled in support of your student's learning. We want students to be able to see how their learning works in the world around them.
In the last couple of years, we know that personalized learning works for our kids. When we empower students to have voice and choice in their learning, they are much more likely to grow! We will work hard to get to know your student and build a positive relationship with him/her. We hope that you will partner with us on this journey in support of your warrior. We are excited about the new year and are thrilled to offer your student a great year of learning. Please feel free to reach out to our student's team of teachers or administrators at any time.